Heinrich Henkel and Florentin Grosse began manufacturing jewellery in 1907 in Pforzheim, Germany under the company name of Süddeutsche Gold- und Haar-Bijouterie, which they changed to Henkel & Grosse in the 30's. It was in 1937 that the company was awarded the diplome d'honneur for their designs at the "Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la vie Moderne" in Paris.
They primarily specialised in manufacturing for leading designers such as Dior (for whom they began manufacturing in 1955, maintaining their license to do so for fifty years), Lanvin and Schiaparelli but also with high class stores to include Harrods and Saks 5th Avenue, New York. In addition to this they also made pieces under their own brand name of Grosse. Pieces made for Dior were marked either - Henkel and Grosse for Chr. Dior Germany or Henkel and Grosse for Christian Dior Made in Germany and also Chr. Dior Germany together with the year of manufacture.
The jewellery was made to a very high quality from gold plated and rhodium plated base metals with prong set stones.
The company, which was family run from founding through several generations, finally sold their business to Dior in 2005.